Hey there I’ve played Longvinter for about 80 hours and I was having a blast but I have a suggestion.
My feature request is related to the most recently added electricity requirement and how it has negatively affected the replayability of Longvinter and the core mechanics of basing/raiding.
Description of the Feature:
- Revert the electricity update until it is balanced better/easier method to craft and obtain light bulbs and water containers or do a hotfix to make it way less grindy and way higher turret cap. What I loved about Longvinter before the electricity update was the freedom to keep expanding your garden with tons of planters and decorations and adding more and more turrets so it would be harder and harder to raid while you are offline. On the flip side it also made raiding bases more interesting because I had to find the weakest point of the base and make a plan of attack and people built larger bases with more interesting/expensive gardens and interiors. I think a lot of people complaining about turrets don’t realize the true issue with turrets is players using duplication exploits and cheats as well as blocking off POI’s and high traffic areas which are the main cause of pain in regards to the turret spam. I actually find the range on map turrets to be even more broken and OP than how player turrets were previously. Currently you can base next to a map turret and essentially be unraidable.
Why is this feature good?
This idea is great because of the following:
- Makes the game more fun for hardcore and casual players due to being able to continue to upgrade your base with more turrets and valuables
- Makes the game feel less grindy for little to no reward
- Wipes happen way too often currently to justify this kind of a grind this early in development even with some small tweaks it put a huge cap on your bases size/defensive potential.
- You can always add more weapons (rpg, grenade, etc) in the future to send turrets offline for longer periods of time instead of totally nerfing the basing/raiding aspect of the game.
Possible issues with this feature?
Issues that might arise from this feature:
- Not sure, but I feel like I’ve seen less players and less active players and less interesting bases ever since the electricity update.
- In regards to people tired of being shot running by peoples houses why not just have the turrets start shooting if someone starts damaging the players property (chainsaw/gun/etc) and they are in range or damaged/attacked one of the players or was damaged/attacked by someone who is part of the base or they are inside your property and didn’t have code access.
I love the game you guys have made so far, it’s really fun but I have a feeling if you continue to make it too grindy early in development people wont keep playing after the wipes because of how long it currently takes to get the electric upgrades to only have enough turrets that 1 or 2 people could very easily raid. Before I felt like I had the freedom and potential to make a literal fort knox of a base but now I don’t see the point in expanding my own base because of how easy it would be to raid nor do I see the point in raiding because most gardens are so small now because of the electricity grind/requirements. Soloing can already be extremely difficult in this game and I think this update just made it that much harder for people playing alone who can only have 3-4 turrets for defense per house. Even when playing in larger groups 4+ people and connecting your houses, the current restriction to turret defenses makes every base easily raidable by 1-2 players and not worth the effort to upgrade or expand your garden.